The "Camino por Amor" (walking for love) walks began in 2016 when Duncan Dyason walked from Costa Rica to Guatemala in three weeks to raise funds for the charity´s work in Central America with children and young people living on the streets and those living at high-risk of living on the streets.
The following year Duncan and Steve Poulson went head-to-head in a 100km in a day walking challenge and last year the couple challenged each other to walk from Guatemala to Honduras and vice versa in one week.
This year´s challenge is going to be one of the biggest challenges Duncan and his team have faced because one of the team is now unable to walk! This means a drastic re-think of the original plan was needed and so a new plan has been hatched.
The walk will now be achieved by splitting up into two teams. Dunc and Joseph will form one team and Steve and Benjamin the other. The teams will still cover the same distance, as we had planned to walk around 30-37 miles each per day, roughly 6 hours each.
The starting point will now be the midway point, which is Kendal in Cumbria. Dunc and Joseph will walk to John O´Groats and back again (approx 874 miles) in just 14 days. Steve and Benjamin will have to find a way of getting to Land´s End from Kendal and then Steve will have to walk back on his own, while Benjamin either drives a support vehicle or is pushed by Steve in a wheelchair! For both teams it will be a tough challenge and the race will begin in Kendal and the winning team will be the first one back at the start point.
Dates: Starting at 6:00am on Saturday 15th June from Kendal, stopping briefly at the John O´Groats and Land´s End official landmarks on Friday 22nd June and then returning to the start point on Saturday 29th June.
The team will update supporters with more exact arrival points at the major landmarks as well as the many towns they will pass through on their journey and GPS trackers will be fitted to the teams so you can track them live on your computer each day.
PLEASE BE GENEROUS AND SUPPORT OUR CAUSE, THANK YOU.
HOW TO SUPPORT
- DONATE (U.S. DONORS)
- DONATE (UK and all other donors)
- DONATE VIA TEXT. To donate £5 to our appeal, just text the word KIDS to 70099. Please read the terms and conditions.
- Come and join in the finish in Kendal on Saturday 29th June mid-afternoon.
WATCH THE LATEST VIDEOS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
- Dunc, Steve, Joseph and Ben set off on Sunday 31st March for their test walk, starting at ther Honduras/Guatemala border and heading North to the jungles of Peten. The walk will be 600km, with the team attpempting 160km per day (40km each) non-stop 24/7. The boys are accepting challenges along the way, so please do interact with them through our Facebook Page.
- MAP of the test walk
- The trial walk was completed by the intrepid four on Thursday 4th April. A way of walking, resting, preparing and supporting was achieved that would mean the 184km-per-day can be achieved.
- Global Care have decided to organise their own support for the walk by getting their staff to cycle the distance from Land´s End to John O´Groats over 10 days on static bikes in the office. THANK YOU
- On the 14th May we received the last of our correspondence from Guinness World Records who won´t be accepting our challenge. Their argument is that since someone can run the same distance fast than we will be walking it, we won´t be able to do it in the same time! Since no one has ever attempted or achieved this challenge we know we will be setting a world record regadless of what Guinness think. It is not really in the spirit of the Guinness World Records, but we need to focus on why we are doing the walk, not recognition from Guinness.
- Due to Benjamin being very unwell we have had to re-plan the walk for this June. All the details are above and new times and routes are available for the England Team and the Scotland Team.
- T-Shirts are now available in S, M, L, XL and XXL for £15 each from Amersham or can be posted to you on request and payment. The shirts are specialist cool-wicking shirts and so will cope with any sports exercise.
- PRESS RELEASE 6th June 2019
- The teams set on schedule, Steve and Benjamin heading for Land´s End and Dunc and Joseph heading North to John O´Groats.
- Steve and Benjamin decide to name their team "Team Victory" and take it upon themsleves to name Dunc & Joseph´s team "Team Love Shack" and duly decorate their campervan accordingly while Dunc & Joseph are out shopping.
- On Wednesday 19th, Dunc & Joseph visited the Inverness A&E due to injuries while walking. Joseph was signed off from walking for 6 weeks with tendonitis and Dunc needed to rest for a day due to an inflamed left knee and told not walk for a week. So Dunc rests for a day and then takes to completing the journey by scooter.
- Meanwhile in Devon, Steve and Benjamin are rejoicing in the news that Team Love Shack are out of action, only to be laid low the following day, Thursday 20th, by swollen knees and many other issues to do with Steve´s overall health.
- Friday 21st, Dunc & Joseph set off from Inverness on a scooter, heading North to John O´Groats, while Steve and Benjamin rest from weak knees.
- On Thursday 27th both teams met up to join forces for the last three days of the walk.
- The John O´Groat Journal feature Dunc & Joseph in this week´s news.
- The team finish on Saturday 29th June in Kendal and have raised over £7,000, plus $5,000 for the children in Central America. THANKS for your support.
- Next year´s plan has ben revealed. Check out our YouTube channel for the reveal.
THE WALK WILL TAKE US THROUGH (or close to) THE FOLLOWING TOWNS:
LANDS END, REDRUTH, PENZANCE, HAYLE, BODMIN, LAUNCESTON, OKEHAMPTON, TIVERTON, TAUNTON, BRIDGWATER, AVONMOUTH, CHEPSTOW, MONMOUTH, HEREFORD, LUDFORD, SHREWSBURY, WHITCHURCH, WARRINGTON, WIGAN, PRESTON, LANCASTER, KENDAL, PENRITH, CARLISLE, GRETNA, LOCKERBIE, NEWBRIDGE, KINROSS, PERTH, DALWHINNIE, AVIEMORE, INVERNESS, ALNESS, TAIN, HELMSDALE, LATHERON, WICK, JOHN O´GROATS.
A full list of places each team will be visiting together with rough times can be downloaded below.